Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Something to consider

From: Tim Wicinski <wicinski@nrl-css.ARPA>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 85 23:21:05 edt
Subject: Something to consider

I heard this little item ona radio show that originated in Boston MA
(actually is was Nocturnal Emissions), and I found out it came off a
compilation album, but I'm not sure where or who or anything, but I
think it sums it all up for me.

  I think one of the biggest problem in the way music is going nowadays
and the way people look at it is that people are musically segregated -
they're walking around with musical blinders so that they only like one
type of music, one genre, and anything outside of that is not good for
them.

  It's fostering a misconception or attitude that says if you like The
Blasters and X, then you can't like Culture Club and Cyndi Lauper...

If you like Black Flag and The Minutemen, then you can't like Soft Cell
and Depeche Mode...

If you like 60s-influenced paisley underground, then you can't like
roots and rockabilly music...

And if you're going to be like any kind of music and be serious about
it, then it better not be Heavy Metal or mainstream hard rock...

What Do You Think ???
--
Ignorance of your culture is not considered cool !!

     Tim Wicinski, Naval Research Labs
     Arpa: wicinski@nrl-css
     Uucp: ...!decvax!nrl-css!wicinski