Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mules, Laps, Hash, Sweat (and other bodily fluids)

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 85 06:23:10 edt
Subject: Mules, Laps, Hash, Sweat (and other bodily fluids)

> From jer

>> Nah, "Sat In Your Lap" and "Get Out Of My House" are!

> No... Sat in Your Lap has this problem, that the basic premises of the
> song are wrong...

What?  How can they be wrong?  It's about Kate's frustration with the
fact that for her knowledge seems ever elusive.  How can she be wrong
about her own perceptions?

> ... and "Get Out of my House," I've decided, like "Pull out the Pin,"
> has gross and embarassing factual errors....  but I am convinced that
> the mule in the former song is due to a misunderstanding of the
> biological properties of mules on the part of Kate Bush....

What?  Is there only one sex of mules or something?  Or do mules have
sex even though they are sterile?

> ... and that the latter song just somehow misses the point altogether
> (e.g., there is a line that should have read "They stink of the
> West/Stink of leather,/Stink of cologne and baccy/And their yankie
> hash".

Why?  Maybe Americans sweat more?  Or maybe their sweat smells
different?

> I think the "yankie hash" should be replaced too.)

Why?  Maybe their hash smells different?  Or maybe Viet Cong don't do
drugs when they're on the front?

>> P.S.  An amusing quote for all you anti-prudes out there by KB about
>> "The Dreaming":

> I don't understand the use of the word "Anti-prude" here...  seems the
> opposite to me.

I meant that it would be amusing to non-prudes.  Prudes would probably
not find it amusing at all, and might run around screaming "She's a
witch!  She's a witch!  Burn her!  Burn her!"

			"Coz when the alley cats come out
			 You can hear music from Kashka's house"

			 Doug