Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hounds of Love - SOLD OUT !!!

From: Tim Wicinski <wicinski@nrl-css.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 85 11:30:19 edt
Subject: Hounds of Love - SOLD OUT !!!

I went to three (3) record stores yesterday looking for HoL. First was
a chain called Kemp Mill (they hold the records, right jim). They sold
out 50 copies in TWO DAYS !!!  Unreal. next was the record-coop at school,
they only sold 50 in a week, but were sold out also. next was a place in
a mall called sam goody's (another chain i believe, pretty bad though).
They were playing HTUR when I walked in ther and when I asked for HoL,
they had none, citing that they sold all the stock since friday nite (how
many that is).

I dont' know if this is all the KB fans releasing 4 years of pent up
frustration of no new album or what. but three stores was too much. It
was all I could do to buy the Husker Du album, take it home and
listen to it 6 times.  Today is another day, and I will be calling the stores
looking for the album.

Doug, didnt you know that record companies PAY record stores to play certain
albums. All of the chains do it. I know strawberries does also cause I used
to know a guy who works there.  But all the chains, Record Bar, Sam Goody's,
Waxie Maxies, Kemp Mill, etc. most of them are paid to play certain
albums in a store. Thats why you here so much shit in those stores.  You can
tell that doesn't do that if they are playing really good music there. any
underground store worth their weight (ex, bow wow records, etc.) would
not be playing Madonna.

'nuff said
tim