Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "NotS" and CD players...

From: herbison%ultra.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (B.J.)
Date: Monday, 30 Sep 1985 10:11:43-PDT
Subject: Re: "NotS" and CD players...

On buying a CD player:  My recommendation would depend on your stereo system.

    `low end' (the majority of systems): get the SONY portable (D5 Deluxe).
        The `deluxe' version is designed to be easy to connect to your
        stereo system and also use it as a portable when you want.

     `middle range':  Buy the best SONY you can get -- buy a unit that
        does over-sampling (I believe SONY has some that do) or two D/A
        converter if it fits your budget; buy features if you want them.
        I am not up to date on the SONY line since I bought mine a while
        ago, but I still keep hearing things that suggest that SONY CD
        players are good solid things.  `mid range' is a vague term and
        probably represents systems with over $1500 of equipment.  I don't
        know how good your equipment/ears need to be to hear the difference
        between the portable equipment and the others.

    `golden ears': Buy one of the expensive players (after listening) or
        get a cheap Meridian and send it away to get modified by one of
        several companies.  I do not fit into this category, but people
        say that most CD players are harsh, don't sound musical and give
        them a headache in a few minutes.

I have a SONY CDP-101 (one of their first models) that I bought for
$700 18 months ago.  The equivalent model would now sell for under
$250 (a guess).  The only problems are that not all of the music I
want is on CD, and I can barely afford the ones that are available.

I have several of the early Bowie CDs.  I do not have them on vinyl
(I own no records) but some of the problems are on the master tapes.
The question is: why have almost all (all?) of the early Bowie albums
been issued on CD when there are large numbers of groups that have
only current releases or no releases on CD?

						B.J.