Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"NotS" and CD players...

From: Kevin Carosso <allegra!scgvaxd!engvax!KVC>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 85 01:12:13 PDT
Subject: "NotS" and CD players...

Someone mentioned "Night of the Swallow" on TD and I somehow feel
compelled to exclaim that (at the moment) this is the best thing I
have ever heard!!!   It's simply GLORIOUS!!!  But words can't
describe it...

Anyway, of more interest to the rest of the list, I wanted to ask
what the instrument is in "Swallow" that accompanies KB through the
passage that begins just after "Take them over the water..."  and
includes "Tonight's the night of the flight..." (or something like
that).  It's the sort of continuous, haunting, high note that tags
just a tad behind her voice through this part of the song.  In any case,
that sound and the way she sings that passage defines (to me) all
that is true artistry and beauty in music.  I've heard a great deal
of music, but very little of it have a FELT as I do that passage.  (Most
others have also been KB..)  At high volume the rush can be devastating!
No doubt there is a law against it somewhere...

On a less personal note --

I'm ready to plunk down the bucks for a CD player and some disks to
start a collection (let's see, that'll be 3 KB's and some Floyd...)
and wanted to find out what advice others on the list would give.
I really want to keep the player down to around $350 or less.  I
will eventually plan on a car unit as well.  One suggestion I've
had is to buy just the SONY portable.  I suppose it will plug into
my home receiver and serve as a home deck.  A friend has wired his
into his car system and it sounds great.  Also, you don't have to leave
it in the car to get ripped off.  Does this sound like a good idea?
Can anyone say whether the SONY portable sounds as good as a home
CD deck on the home stereo?  Is it just a toy?  It is sort of a
compromise in that it may not have all the nifty features one wants
in a home deck and it looks a little hard to load while driving, but
that would sure be a cheap solution.

Can anyone out there relate their CD experiences?  What do you have?
What would you recommend for home and/or car?  Hope this isn't too far
off the beaten track of this interest list, but the net.audio folks
tend to be too hi-falutin' (and apparently rich) for my taste.  I'm
not out for the $1500 best.  Besides, it's all so I can listen to
Kate even better than before!

	/Kevin Carosso           engvax!kvc @ CIT-VAX.ARPA
				 {allegra|ihnp4|seismo}!scgvaxd!engvax!kvc

ps.  Anyone else shiver with the way she says "jingle-jangle" in
     "Houdini"?   Sensuality incarnate...

pps. I love early Bowie, like "Changes", "Hunky Dory", and "Ziggy..."
     but have been appalled at the very poor quality of the albums.
     Are these any better on CD?  Was it bad vinyl or bad master
     tapes?  I've always held out some hope that CD would be the
     answer here (but I expect to be disappointed).

ppps.  That oughta keep y'all busy for awhile!