Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Is RuTH Disco?

From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 85 11:20:37 EDT
Subject: Is RuTH Disco?

In one simple word, Shelli, - no.

I heard a lot more layers of syncopation going on in this song than
a "classic" disco song - say-The Hustle or Bad Girls.  Whenever I
think of disco recording, I think of that 60 Minutes show which went
behind the scenes at a disco recording session and showed what a sham
the music was (at least at the major labels' studios).  The "artistic
process" consisted of a bunch of producers putting together a song
with no input from the artist, through dubbing.  The end version
didn't sound at all like the orginal.

On the other hand, RuTH uses a lot of the "corporate memory" in making
RuTH a dance song.  But Kate manages to make more than a dance
song - my over all assesment of the song was it sounded like an
urgent plea from the songwriter to both a man (father figure) and God
to show her there is more to life but admitting one must work at it.

That be my opinion.  And I'm not really profesional (I was) more like
semi-professional (that means you play for free beer).

  Jim