Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Robyn Hitchcock

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 85 04:13:40 edt
Subject: Re: Robyn Hitchcock

> From John Labovitz

> Yes yes yes yes yes!  I bought IODoT first, and then Fegmania.  I'm
> not sure which one I like most -- it depends on the mood I'm in.  I
> will say, however, that these are possibly the two best albums I have
> (sorry Doug, I think they just went over The Dreaming).

Oh no!  This is what I get for recommending great albums to people....

"I Often Dream Of Trains" is definitely in my top 10 albums, and there
are 5 KB albums and 2 Pink Floyd albums there, so you can see I must
like it a bit, but as good as "The Dreaming"?  Nah...  It doesn't have
the infinite complexity that allows you to listen to it constantly for
years, without getting tired of it.  Also, I don't think "Fegmania"
compares to IODOT.  "Black Snake Diamond Role" is similar to "Fegmania",
but done right.  It's almost as good as IODOT.

> ``Black Snake Diamond Role,'' which I bought a couple of days ago,
> also has strange comix in it.

Oh no!  Now there are going to be three albums you like better than "The
Dreaming"....

>> The production [of IODOT] is uneven --- I had almost unbearable
>> surface noise on a few songs. Were some songs recorded in Robyn's
>> bathroom or something (hence the occasional mention of "toilets" :-) )?
>> How was your copy, Doug?

> Yeah, some of the tracks are definitely not-right.  Sorta sounds like they
> were using crummy tape.

The whole album was recorded in three days with a 1200 pound budget --
less than one one-hundredth of what KB spends in time and money on
recording an album (of course, she'll probably sell 100 times as
many...) -- so one can easily see that the fidelity might be somewhat
less.

			"Even Marilyn Monroe was a man,
			 But this tends to get overlooked...."

			 Doug

P.S.  Hey John, wanna trade one of my autographed Hitchcock albums for
your autographed KB photo?