Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Killing Joke

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 85 01:39:01 edt
Subject: Re: Killing Joke

> From: Jordan Hayes <jordan%ucbarpa@Berkeley>

> Hmmm... Killing Joke was a really excellent band. However, "Eighties"
> was written when they needed some cash... very flashy video, and not
> enough power to catch me...

I really like "Eighties"!  It's definitely not my favorite song of '84,
though, and I haven't seen the video.  It's pretty strange that it's
Kate's favorite.  She has a very diverse set of tastes in music: from
Captain Beefheart to Stevie Wonder ("Sat In Your Lap" was inspired by a
Stevie Wonder concert) to Irish jigs to punk to sea chantees to John
Lennon to voodoo chants to Steely Dan to David Bowie to The Eagles.  I
wouldn't have expected Killing Joke to be at the top of the list,
though...

I like Killing Joke when they are "harder".  Sometimes they mellow out
into some fairly boring new wave stuff.  They remind me of The Cure a
bit, in that The Cure are best when they are harder, and not so great
when they are mellow.

> I saw Killing Joke at an outdoor concert in Toronto about 3 summers
> ago, and they blew me away... featured some TERRIFIC opening bands...
> Nash the Slash ....

You saw Killing Joke and Nash the Slash at the same time?!?!?  I'm
*sooooo* jealous!

			-Doug