Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Third party remixes

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 85 01:00:47 edt
Subject: Third party remixes

>> [Me:] The even more discofied remix version was done by some person
>> totally unrelated to Yes.  My brother has a copy.  The remixed verson
>> is pretty awful if you ask me.

> [Eric Roskos] I only heard it once, so I don't know.  How could
> someone else make a "remixed" version?  Did Yes give them permission?
> Who is the record published by?

I don't know.  The next time I talk to my brother, I'll ask him.  I
don't know if Yes gave them permission, but I believe that there is
something in the music copyright laws that allows anyone to cover a song
if they pay the proper royalties, without having to get permission.  Is
this right?  Maybe remixes count as covers?

Are we going to hear third party remixes of RUTH.  God, I hope not!
(Unless, of course, it turns out good!)

				-Doug