Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Correspondents from England

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 85 15:00:26 edt
Subject: Correspondents from England

Of the 44 people now on the Love-Hounds mailing list, two people, Mike
Parsons and L.K. Turner, are actually from England. In fact they are
from Kent, which is the same state (Providence?  County?  What do you
call them in England?) that Kate Bush lives in.

Now, I'm not sure how much Mike and L.K. are aware of this, but in the
U.S. until the past week or so, Kate Bush was nearly unknown.  A year
ago I knew only one other person who had ever heard of her.  In England,
on the other hand, I am led to believe that she has been a household
name since 1978.  Perhaps Mike or L.K. would like to give us some info
on how she has been perceived in England.  How was the sudden shift to
the very intense and uncommercial music of the "The Dreaming" received
by the British public after she had been considered a pop star?  How is
her return to more commercial music with "Running Up That Hill" being
perceived?

				-Doug

P.S.  Do either of you know any of the people at "Homeground"?