Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Bush becoming popular in U.S.?

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 85 14:32:49 edt
Subject: Kate Bush becoming popular in U.S.?

"Running Up That Hill" is now the most requested song on WFNX in Boston!
Newbury Comics, which is *the* record store in Boston that specializes
in imports received piles and piles of "Running Up That Hill" on 7 inch
and 12 inch and sold out completely within a week.

I talked to Hugh Maher (the only other person I know personally who is
as big a fanatic as me) on the phone a couple of days ago (he lives near
Berkeley, CA).  He says that he has been to several dance clubs and they
are all playing "Running Up That Hill" in their rotation.  He went to
two video dance clubs, and each of them had made up their *own* videos
for RUTH, because MTV has exclusive 30 day rights to the video that
EMI-America put together (which isn't Kate's video -- EMI-America
censored that).

He says that he went in a pizza parlor and RUTH was on their jukebox.
He played it, and the people who worked their told him that they love
the song!  They'd never heard of Kate Bush before RUTH appeared in their
jukebox, but it is now their favorite song.

So, is Kate going to be as big as Michael Jackson in the U.S. any day
now?  Is this a good thing?  To think, only a year ago I knew only one
other person who had ever even heard of Kate Bush, and now random people
in Pizza parlors love her!  I'm feeling so non-elite.....  Ah well
that's okay, I guess....

			-Doug