Cloudbusting -- Kate
Bush In Her Own Words
Do you get very nervous before you perform your songs?
- Yes, I do. Especially when it's live. There's so much you have to
think about, really. And you can't help but be aware of yourself, you just find
you're out there looking at yourself. It's a very strange feeling.
Do you ever put on a kind of disguise to get over that?
- Oh, yes. I mean I use all kind of props, I think like any actor.
Like the makeup, and the clothes, and especially the piano. That's a really big
Hide behind them.
- Yeah, right. (1978, Ask
When you go on stage, do you ever feel nervous?
- When I go on stage, yes, I do feel nervous. I feel much more nervous
when I have to go up and collect awards and speak to people than I do when I
actually perform, and I think that's because when you perform, you have a part
like an actor, and you fall back on that if you know it well enough and can
carry it through. I enjoy it so much. I think when you have to be yourself,
you're so conscious of being yourself that you wonder what people think, but it
soon goes once you're up there. (1980, KBC 5)
As a performer, how do you cope with your nerves?
- Well, as you all know, I don't do very much performing -
[Cries from audience.]
- - and uh, I do get incredibly nervous. And, I think a lot of that
has to do with the insecurities I've felt as a performer. Each time I performed
I would be very nervous. I'd feel I wasn't very good, and it would build up
more and more. I don't know, I think in a way it's just something you have to -
you almost have to take it by the hand like a person, your nerves, and, um, try
to get it to sit down and stop running around the place! 'Cause that's what
you're doing inside, you know? Um, and I just admire performers so much that
can go up in front of really big crowds and deal with it.
Are you nervous now?
- Um...Actually, I don't feel as nervous as I thought I would at all.
I was very nervous before I came on, but, uh, no, I feel okay, thanks!
- I'll let you know... I'll keep you, uh, keep you posted. (1990 Kate
Cloudbusting / Subjects / Stagefright