Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Yoko (was Re: Yoko-enthusiast Ann Magnuson (fwd))

From: Scott Raile <raile@spot.colorado.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 10:00:31 -0700
Subject: Re: Yoko (was Re: Yoko-enthusiast Ann Magnuson (fwd))
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Renee Rosen wrote:

> Well, you get the idea. So which of her full-length albums would
> I like? Or would I only like about half of each?

I'm just like you: I've always prefered Yoko when she's way out there,
experimenting.....her "songwriting" attempts are frequently quite awful!  As such,
I think I could recommend:

1. Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band (the one with the cover very similar to "John
Lennon/Plastic Ono Band").  Yoko uses her voice as an abstract instrument, wailing
over jamming by John, Klaus and Ringo.  Not for the faint-hearted, but rewarding
for the adventurous.

2. Fly:  Another moody, abstract work, with long, drawn out experimental pieces
("Fly"), older works of wailing ("Don't Worry Kyoko"), and some of her better
songs ("Mrs. Lennon").  Probably her best work, IMHO.

"Approximately Infinite Universe" is a mixed bag: Lots of great songs like "Yang
Yang," but lots of tripe as well. Proceed with caution.  Avoid "Feeling The Space"
at all costs: half-baked feminist diatribes masquerading as music. Yuck.

My interest in Yoko all but ends when her collaborations with John Lennon ended,
so I haven't heard all of her later albums like "It's Alright" or "Starpeace," but
from the icky mush that I *have* heard ("My Man"?), I'll be staying away.

All of the above is, of course, my own opinion....your mileage, as always, may
vary!

Scott