Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbag

From: Chris Williams <chrisw@wwa.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 16:04:58 -0600
Subject: Mailbag
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

re: Kate's fortune compared to other musicians:
 "adrewel" <worldonline!adrewel@uunet.uu.net>

>So what????..........

>Brian Dillard <dillardb@pilot.msu.edu> schreef in artikel
><34560637.1E4F3D04@pilot.msu.edu>...
>> ... among Britain's richest pop stars, according to Business Age
>> magazine.
>>
>>  Her $30 million fortune made her one of the three female acts - along
>> with the Spice Girls and Annie Lennox - to make the list.
>>
>> The top 3 were Bowie, McCartney and Tom Jones (?!)

    Only that it fairly conclusivly proves that Kate never *has* to
release anything. She could release an a capella cover set of
"Metal Machine Music" if she wanted. She doesn't need to tour
to support a record, and cannot be compelled to. She can take
a spare million and direct a film without feeling a pinch. She
can (and no doubt does) give large amounts of money to
various charities.

Until this point, we really had no idea how well she was doing
financially. We knew she had a million pounds tucked away
in a retirement fund, and that she had an exceptional deal
with EMI. But "rock stars" have been able to piss away far
larger fortunes...or never succeed in buiding one due to
bad management or stupidity.

   Fleetwood Mac are touring because everyone in the band,
apart from Lindsey Buckingham, has managed to spend
practically every penny produced of the biggest successes
of the 70s and 80s.

    That Kate has managed to avoid all these pitfalls lets
us infer quite a bit about her habits. And in the end, lacking
any official communication from Kate and company after
the demise of the KBC Newsletter, guesswork is all
we have.

  [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][]

About the whole "Cloudbusting/Gay" thing:

   First, I'd like to point out that Love-Hounds are entirely capable
of having flame-wars without my participation.

   Second, many of Kate's works are interpetations of other
artists work. Without an understanding of the source, many
of her songs can be misunderstood. For instance, if you
didn't know about "The Innocents" you might mistakenly
think "The Infant Kiss" was about pedophilia. (Note: Gays find
pedophilia as replusive as hetrosexuals do.)

   "Cloudbusting" is very specifically about "A Book of Dreams".
Kate has taken great pains to explain the story, where she hasn't
bothered to with many of her other songs derived the work
of others. We know the inspiration for "Cloudbusting"
in a way that we will never know the inspiration for "Under
The Ivy".

   Kate did communicate with Peter Reich before
the album was released. Last we heard, he lives in Maine
and writes about gardening. A fellow Kate-fan/SF Writer
was in communication with Peter several years ago and
eventually signed with Peter's literary agent. If necessary,
I can get ahold of this friend and ask him, or his agent
if Peter is gay. Not that the answer would satisfy anyone.
Nor would it make it anyone's business but Peter .

   BTW, to the innocent person who was surprised at the
appearance of sarcasm in Love-Hounds...this newsgroup
has a long and glorious history of sarcasm, cruelty and
vicious put-downs. The "debate" here has always been
"lively", to say the least. It's the nature of *any* group
of people with nothing on common but a singular interest.
See the book "Hell's Cartographers" about the elder
days of SF fandom.

  Hell, on the Todd Rundgren list we have one pin-head
who responds to anyone posting about him with (empty)
threats of a lawsuit.

  [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][]

   I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but if people
use a long line of equal signs at the end of their sig, some
mail-readers interpet that as the end of the digest. I
know ELM does, and when reading mail I have to keep
a mental tally of the number of messages so I don't
miss any. So, Mikael Jakonen could you please either
remove the line of equal signs or preface it with a space?

Chris Williams of
   Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
      chrisw@wwa.com
"How perfectly goddamn delightful it all is, to be sure" - C. Crumb