Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (Fwd) Re: Kate honored

From: "DJH" <donna@tatung.math.uconn.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:41:09 +0000
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: Kate honored
To: faerymouse@aol.com (Faerymouse), love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <donna@tatung.math.uconn.edu>

> >Ah, that anyone would be TA herself.  In case you missed it the first
> >two times I posted it... I direct your attention to this excerpt:
> >
> >Page 10  -Middle column of three, Bold Large type fills half the page
> >"I've been hearing comparisons with Kate Bush for over 10 years -
> >before I'd heard her work.  But people don't say I sound like many
> >guys and I've been influenced by more men than women."
> >
> >This leads me to belive that miss amos is claiming that her KaTe-like
> >'style' predated her exposure to KaTe by 10 years.  This would
> >suggest that KaTe did NOT influence her.  Contrary to the RS
> >interview... I will have to get the issue from home to get the direct
> >quote.
> >

> well ya know, she could have been influenced by her later in her career, you

Please note above quote compared to this quote from rolling stone 30
aniversary issue:

Issue 773, November 13, 1997
30Th anniversary issue
Women of Rock (xXx)

Page 104, Tori Amos Interview

Q: "Is there a woman who was a role model for you musically?"

A:  "As I was growing up, I kept my ears open.  Whether it was Debbie
Harry or Laurie Anderson or Kate Bush or Joni Mitchell, they all
affected me.  You know, the dangerous thing about listening is that
you don't really knkow the effect it's going to have.  It can have a
profound effect;  you don't know who your next teacher's going to be.
 I don't discount that I was always listening and that I picked up
things from artists, male and female, who weren't necessarily on my
record player."

Page 179-181, High Notes - Women have been responsible for some of
rock & roll's most influential recordings.  Here's a selective
discography...

Page 180 - Kate Bush, The Kick Inside.  Armed with a four-octave range
and a prodigious talent on the piano, British singer/songwriter Kate
Bush began recording at 16.  Four years later, her well-crafted first
album, 'The Kick Inside', became the prototype for art rock,
girly-girl style.  Tender ballads like "The Man With the Child in His
Eyes" displayed Bush's lovely soprano, which careened into the
stratosphere on "Wuthering Heights" (her take on Emily Bronte).

** Bush' musings and dramatic flair would impact future piano
goddesses such as Tori Amos**, among others.  (1978, EMI America)

(**emphasis** added by d~)

>  know, after she heard all the comparisons. my take on it is this: (and will
>  state first that i tend to like kate more than tori. not that it really
{snip}
>I never really
>  understood the TA-KT comparison because (a) they sound nothing alike to me,
>  other than having great vocal range, but so what. plenty of other singers in
>  the world have great range. (b) Tori is MUCH more piano based then Kate
>  nowadays. (c) their writing styles are completely different.  But hey, it's
>  just my opinion. I could be wrong.

I have to agree that you could be wrong.  I have posted many times to
the list the NUMEROUS KaTe comparisions that littered the promotional
material for TA in the pre LE literature.  TA was remodled (from Y
tori kant read to LE) to be a KaTe knockoff, and was pushed off as
such by the label.

If you don't hear the KaTe-ness of Tori (especially the LE Album),
well, I just don't know what to say.

d~