Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: coming out

From: jobuinpgh@aol.com (JobuInPgh)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 16:39:39 -0500
Subject: Re: coming out
To: <rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Nobody said being gay was bad. Nobody criticized homosexuality. People
>just think "Cloudbusting" isn't about coming out. That's not homophobic.
>That's just an opinion. You calling them homophobes is a really cheap
>shot.

Thank you Stu!  As an out and proud gay man, I couldn't have said it better
 myself.  I have a real problem with the "PC Police" and the instant label of
 "homophobe" given to people for disagreeing.

That said,  I personally feel that hearing the phrase "Look, your son's coming
 out" and not knowing the inspiration for the song, but knowing how
 gay-positive Kate has always been is reason enough to lead someone to think
 the song may just possibly be about a gay man revealing himself to his father.
  Hell, I've read people who thought "Get Out of My House" is about being
 raped.  And, until I found out the real inspiration for the song, I believed
 what I had read.

One book (can't remember which one) said that the B.V.'s mentioned in "Violin"
 stood for "Beata Virga" (or something like that), obviously trying to read
 MUCH more into the song than simply "backing vocals."

To get to my point, sometimes the meaning one assigns to a song on first or
 second listen is completely different than the writer's intent, particularly
 when the intent requires some explanation.  (As is VERY necessary to get the
 real intent behind "Cloudbusting").  And often, particularly with music and
 lyrics as layered with meaning as Kate's songs tend to be, that initial
 impression leads one down paths of thought that, once followed in reflection,
 tend to bind themselves to all future listening to that particular song.
 Meaning, if I initially give the song a gay interpretation, and think about
 what Kate may be trying to say, then even if I later find out I was wrong,
 that first impression will stay with me every time I hear it, regardless of
 how many people tell me I should not think that way or am an idiot if I do not
 follow the original intent.

Anyway, it may ramble, but there are my two convoluted cents.  Feel free to
 disagree, and I will not accuse you of homophobia!

Joe