Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Song Interpretations

From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Date: 10 Nov 97 10:33:30 EST
Subject: Song Interpretations
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Greetings Lovehounds,

   When the artist writes a song or poem or book or paints a picture or
performs a dance,  more often than not, there was a specific motivation
or inspiration behind the art...thus giving it its meaning to certain extent.
However, most artists are sensitive to the fact that their work may speak of
other things to the beholder.  Most artists embrace the fact that their work
may have multiple meanings.

   Whatever one gets out of any given work or art is very personal...therefore
very individual.

   Kate may have been thinking about The Book Of Dreams when she wrote
Cloudbusting, but if Cloudbusting means something else to the beholder,
then more power to them.  It is my opinion that Kate would not contradict
someone else's interpretation of a song....even through that interpretation
might not fix the original intent of the song.

   I think life would be little "duller" if all the songs we hear, if all the
pictures we gaze at, if all the dances we see, if all the poems we read......

.....could only be interpreted one way.        God save diversity.

peace

ron