Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Who is Silvia

From: Mark Beale <beale@hdshq.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 10:06:53 -0800
Subject: Who is Silvia
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Karen Newcombe wrote:

> "Who is Sylvia? What is she that I should recommend her?"
>
> My memory dredges this up as the first line of the poem,
> but I don't remember off the top who wrote it.  Anyone?

I actually know that one (shock!).

It's from Shakespeare's TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA, Act IV, Scene II:

Host	Ay: but, peace! let's hear 'em.

	SONG.
	Who is Silvia? what is she,
	That all our swains commend her?
	Holy, fair and wise is she;
	The heaven such grace did lend her,
	That she might admired be.

I actually remembered Raul Julia singing that from the musical version
of the play that did Broadway briefly (does anyone remember that? The
record cover is an illustration of two men with rather large breats).