Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MisK.

From: Jack <noone04@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:21:05 -0700
Subject: Re: MisK.
To: IEDSRI@aol.com
CC: Love-hounds@gryphon.com

IEDSRI@aol.com wrote:

>  > I was thinking about the Ninth Wave today, and decided to listen to the
> baktabak interview
>  > disc for The Dreaming and HOL. What I realised I'd forgotten about was
> that TNW isn't
>  > about a woman (i.e. kate) but a man who spends a night in the water.
>
> This is incorrect.  Kate has never said that the protagonist of The Ninth
> Wave is male.  In nearly every case she has gone out of her way to refer to
> the character either as "someone," or "the body in the water, as the head
> travels on," or in the third-person plural, thus evading the issue; in at
> least one case, caught up in the telling of her story,  she switched to
> "she/her" in mid-synopsis.
>

> In the Baktabak interview (track 2, the Hounds of Love interview) she did not
> say that the character was male.  (It should go without saying that the
> situation is not autobiographical.)  The *interviewer* suggested that Kate
> might have been inspired by an American news story about a male pilot who had
> crashed and been trapped under the ice -- but Kate replied emphatically that
> she had not heard the story before, and that it had nothing to do with her
> music.
>
> -- Andrew Marvick (IED)
>     S                R                I

   Wow, I guess she never does give a gender in that interview. . .  In
listening to the interview, the interviewer says "It's all about a man
drowning . . ." before he asks the news story question. That and her
talking about war films as inspiration had led me to believe it to be
about a man, but I guess she never does really say which it is. Thanks
for straightening me out IED. I'm always eager for deeper understanding.
. .
                                                   ~Jack~