Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Coming Up

From: "Collinson, Wendy" <Wendy.Collinson@olsy.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:49:47 +0100
Subject: Coming Up
To: "'love-hounds@gryphon.com'" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Return-Receipt-To: "Collinson, Wendy" <Wendy.Collinson@olsy.co.uk>

On Friday, 19th September, Stephen Golden wrote:
		EMI has recently released a 2CD album of cover songs to
celebrate their 100 year anniversary.  One of the songs on there is
Kate's "Why Should I Love You" sung my Mike Scott.  I haven't heard it,
so I can't make any comments yet.  The album is called Come Again.
I checked this out in Our Price (London) and Mike Scott's comments in
the booklet were (and I paraphrase this) that this song was constantly
playing throughout a six month period in his life, where his marriage
broke up, he spent time on a retreat and eventually met his soul-mate,
and is therefore very special to him.

I have not yet bought the album because I sometimes find these
collections very unsatisfying.  I am very much interested in hearing
Mike Scott's version of Kate's song and there are artists I like making
contributions on Coming Up  - however, after the TWO ROOMS tribute album
(where, in my opinion, only Kate's, Sting's & Sinead's efforts were
worth it ... 'cause let's face it, the others weren't trying at all) and
others, where certain, more "popular" artists are brought in to raise
the profile of the album and yet do very little apart from mimic the
original version.

I won't name names in relation to this project as I don't want to offend
anyone who thinks otherwise.  The point is that I think most of us have
bought these concept/collection albums over the years based on one or
two of their favourite artists' contributions and have been less than
thrilled/sorely disappointed/barfing at some of the others'.  It's not
so much to do with liking/disliking those artists personally but their
lacklustre efforts in interpreting the original songs.  But ...
everybody's different so do what you will, oh record-buying public.

Having said all of this though I probably will buy the album 'cause I'm
a Kate fan and a Mike Scott admirer and temptation will probably get the
better of me because a Kate cover is better than no new Kate album.
(sigh!)  Some of the other artists featured on Coming Up are (based
purely on my rapidly fading memory) are Karl Wallinger, Terrorvision &
Thom Yorke (Radiohead), Belinda Carlisle (ex Go Gos), Robbie Williams
(ex Take That), & Kenickie.  Sorry I can't remember any more!

Wendy

wendy.c@ndirect.co.uk

P.S. What about a tribute album to Diana, where original artists rewrite
their original songs to the mass euphoria/extreme dissatisfaction of
various sections of the record-buying public?  (obligatory Diana
content).