Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Wild Flights of Opinionated Babbling

From: meredith <meth@smoe.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 14:10:43 -0400
Subject: RE: Wild Flights of Opinionated Babbling
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

Blake Kritzberg opined:

>And Happy Rhodes? I bought one CD, having heard steady praise here.
>A few listens, and I was hard put to see how she's like Kate, much
>less particularly talented. I found her spiritualism overwrought,
>her imagery adolescent, her literary grasp anemic, and her
>environmentalism painfully conventional.

I'm just curious -- which album did you pick up?  From your assessment
above I'm guessing you have one of her older works, in which case I would
recommend that you listen to something more recent (_Warpaint_,
_Equipoise_, or _Building The Colossus_).  Happy's come a *long* way since
her earliest material, most of which was written when she was in fact an
adolescent.

If you are talking about one of the more recent discs, though, then I guess
we'll just have to agree to disagree... but her catalog is so big, I'd hate
to see anyone write her off just based on one album.