Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Dreaming Plug

From: Ian.Taft@mitsuibabcock.co.uk
Date: 17 Sep 97 10:02:38 -0700
Subject: Re: The Dreaming Plug
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Alternate-Recipient: Prohibited
Autoforwarded: FALSE
X400-Content-Type: P2-1988
X400-MTS-Identifier: [/PRMD=mitsuibabcock/ADMD=bt/C=gb;XGW-970917100238-0700-08100]
X400-Originator: Ian.Taft@mitsuibabcock.co.uk
X400-Received: by mta MBEL in /PRMD=mitsuibabcock/ADMD=bt/C=gb; Relayed; 17 Sep 97 10:02:39 +0100
X400-Recipients: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi,

Further to Chris and Bryan's posts on this subject:

On the back cover of Brian Eno's "Ambient 4" LP some years
ago, Eno described how to set up what he described as an
"ambient" speaker system. His suggestion was to set up a
third speaker at the other end of the room from the stereo pair,
pointing towards and centred between them.

Each terminal of the third speaker is wired to one of the +ve
(red) terminals on the amplifier speaker outputs, so that the
third speaker does what has been described here earlier,
i.e. reproduce everything not common to the two channels.
But at the same time you still get the normal stereo output from
your main stereo pair.

A friend and I have used this system for a number of years and
it seems to work very well. For general listening, the sound
appears to fill the room more, rather than come from one end;
if you stand centrally between your stereo pair and face the
third speaker a lot of hitherto unheard detail does sometimes
emerge from the music......

Also, I have my NICAM video set up to play sound through my
hi-fi amplifier: the 3-speaker system works wonderfully for
most movies, but especially action movies. No need for
Dolby Pro-Logic systems in my house!

Best wishes,
Ian.