Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Webster

From: Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 19:20:28 -0700
Subject: Webster
To: ANGLTRED@aol.com
Cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com

At 10:30 AM -0700 8-26-97, ANGLTRED@aol.com wrote:
><< If you really want to talk about "diversity", I think one needs to take a
><< stab at defining it.
>
>Webster has already done this.

"Webster" is a generic, non-proprietary tradename like "Acme."

It has no more to do with Noah Webster than it does to do with the sit-com
character Webster. It's meaningless when discussing the value of a
dictionary or the accuracy of the definition of a word in a "Webster's"
dictionary.

I use "The Random House Dictionary of the English Language - 2nd Edition -
Unabridged."

It's about 2500 pages long, but having been published in 1987, it's getting
it a bit long in the tooth...particularily if you're looking for
definitions of computer terms.

- Don