Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Oh Dear...

From: Mike Wade <mwade@oxfam.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 11:08:00 +0100
Subject: Oh Dear...
To: "'Love Hounds'" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Quote from someone "Try to show some historical accuracy as well as some
knowledge of the
subject you are addressing before writing about it."

Oh dear. we're not going to start telling each other off are we? How
boring.

My tuppence on the artist & work & biography thang. Knowing more about
an artist (eg Kate) can make you understand better where they were
coming from when they produced a particular piece of art. Without
knowing about Van Gogh's madness, would "Starry Nights" have quite the
same meaning? You don't have to kow the "whole story" - (As Kate herself
once said, everyone's own interpretation of what her songs are about is
just as valid as her's) but it can help.

Mike