Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (long) Respectable artists my <ahem>

From: peter <pietr@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 19:58:30 -0800
Subject: Re: (long) Respectable artists my <ahem>
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Wfjcfjr wrote:

> >My specific example is that of L. Frank Baum who wrote " The Wizard of
> >Oz".
> >A cute, children's story accepted by the masses.
>
> "The Wizard of Oz" was definitely NOT a children's story. It was a satire.
> A political one at that (The Cowardly Lion was William Jennings Bryan).
> Not only is your position historically incorrect, it is pedantic and
> self-serving. I am not condoning Baum's position, I am simply stating that
> you have grossly misunderstood what his position and writings were about.
> Try to show some historical accuracy as well as some knowledge of the
> subject you are addressing before writing about it.

Yes, I know all about the political satire. I apologize for not going
into depth about the fact that his story was turned into a film, which
since then has been assimilated as a "mainstream family film".

Sorry that most people (esp.your average 7 year old) don't know that
fact about it.
Oz is of course the abbreviation for ounce, as in gold bullion (the
yellow brick road), etc.
I know about his feelings about the banking system, midwest farming,
etc.

I have NOT grossly misunderstood anything, and have more "historical
knowledge" of Baum, his writings and his treacherous deeds, than you
will ever know.

It just has no relationship to my point of supporting the works and
creations of genocidal humans, and it is of course self-serving.

peter