Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Ninth Wave - the best!

From: MICSK@leeds.ac.uk (S. Kesavan)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:11:59 +0100 (BST)
Subject: The Ninth Wave - the best!
To: rec-music-gaffa@britain.eu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In all my years of listening to all kinds of music, I have never heard
anything as imaginative and ingenious as 'The Ninth Wave'. Kate herself, must
have been so pleased with the final product. 'Hounds of Love' appealed to
ordinary Kate Bush fans (pop music) while 'The Ninth Wave' appealed to those
who could appreciate albums such as 'The Dreaming' in its entirety.

The Ninth Wave, as I interpret it, is a story of a young girl who experiences
emotional turmoil while in dream. The album starts with 'And dream of
sheep'...here she comforts herself listening to the radio, trying to
fall into a peaceful sleep not knowing what awaits her once she falls asleep.
She has a nightmare and feels trapped (under ice)...that feeling of being
locked in and not being able to get out. It suffocates her. She then is
transported to medieval times where she is being persecuted and punished for
acts of sorcery and black magic (waking the witch)....on the lines of burning
witches on stakes......once dead, she then dreams herself as a ghost
(watching you without me)...watching her partner "you watch the clock move
the slow hand, I should have been home hours ago, but I'm not here" "to let
you know whats been happening, there's a ghost in our home just watching you
without me but I'm not here"........She then dreams herself (in person) going
to see an astrologer "hello old lady" (jig of life) to find out what the
future holds for her...."never never say goodbye to MY part of YOUR life" she
begs...she wants to live for a little while longer..she wants no more
misfortune....but alas she departs the earth, leaving on a space craft while
watching the globe from space (Hello Earth) and she remembers good times on
earth with her boyfriend "with just my heart and my mind, I could be driving
home with you asleep on the seat"...she sees bad weather signs and wishes she
could warn sailors of forthcoming sea storms "watching storms start to form
over America...can't do anything, just watch them swing with the wind out to
sea...all life savers, get out of the water, all you cruisers, get of the
water, all you fishermen, head for home!"...she has no control...she feels
alone with no one there to speak to...she has experienced so much distress
and sadness over such a little while and can't understand why....until she
wakes up and realises she has had a dream / nightmare (Morning fog)....she
feels relieved..she sees all the people that she knows and suddenly tells
them how much she loves them "I tell my mother, I tell my brother, I tell my
father" and she also tells her boyfriend "Do you know what? I love you better
now!" She is ecstatic.

My interpretations may be all wrong and a little simplistic but I enjoy
thinking about what Kate's lyrics actually mean.

Those of you who say 'The Ninth wave' is not a good piece of work...just
think...Kate Bush wrote and produced this album in her mid-twenties. I myself
am 26 and I am sure that I could never produce anything like 'The Ninth Wave'
in my whole lifetime. KATE BUSH IS A GENIOUS. We wait for your next album.

S. Kesavan