Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ERIC CLAPTON, KATE, ART & EXPLOITATION

From: Alan Tignanelli <alantignanelli@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 20:39:30 -0700
Subject: Re: ERIC CLAPTON, KATE, ART & EXPLOITATION
To: rec-music-gaffa@ncren.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

ANGLTRED@aol.com wrote:

>  It's time you take a step back and re-think the meaning and purpose behind
> artistic expression.
>
> ~~~Samantha

Hear hear Samantha!

"Tears In Heaven" is incredibly moving.  But, it is not the only song
Clapton wrote about his son's death.  There is another song, "The Circus
Left Town," that was on his Unplugged special, but wasn't released on
the CD or video, about the last night he spent w/his son.

Let's face it, the deeply felt, personal songs are usually the ones that
hit us, the listeners, the deepest, because they are usually so personal
and honest.  Look at a song like "Butterfly Kisses" - it skyrocketed
because so many people identified with it.  I still get chills up and
down my spine when I listen to Jill Sobule's "Vrbana Bridge" (about the
two lovers killed in Czechoslovakia a few years back), or Meat Loaf's
"For Crying Out Loud."

If writing a tear-jerking soung based on a loved one's death was so
commercially viable, the market would be flooded with 'em, and it's
not.  Tears In Heaven just happened to hit a nerve, like Butterfly
Kisses.  The other two didn't.

Alan