Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hounds of Love, EMI100 re-issue

From: pdCampbell@goodyear.com (pDaleCampbell)
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 15:30:12 -0400
Subject: Hounds of Love, EMI100 re-issue
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

I picked up the _HoL_ re-issue last night at the local importer- "Time
Traveler" in Cuyahoga Falls (think Chrissie Hynde's "I went back to
Ohio...").  (I also got Sarah McLachlan's _Surfacing_ and Don McLean's
_For_the_Memories_.  Tonight I'm going back to pick up a double-CD of
Crack the Sky's _Animal_Notes_ and _Safety_in_Numbers_).

This makes the fourth copy I've purchased.  The first was on cassette.
I bought it along with a walkman while on a long (2 week) business trip
to Tyler, Texas.  I played it incessantly at work (inside the
air-conditioned, isolated computer room) and at the hotel.  The second
copy was the first CD I bought after I got a computer w/ a CD-ROM (my
first CD player--I had purchased other CDs prior to that, but had to get
friends to dub them to tape so I could listen to them).  The third copy
was the one that came in the _TWW_ box-set.

I haven't compared the sound quality of this copy with my old one...
Regardless, IT SOUNDS GREAT!

My personal take on interpreting _The_Ninth_Wave_:
Before I heard Kate's explanation of the storyline, I thought it was a
collection of vignettes about death, much as _Hounds_of_Love_ (side one)
deals with love.  I suspect this may be the way the songs came to Kate,
since she has to go through so many gyrations ("here she's having a
dream about...", "now she's hallucinating that...") to maintain the
facade of a straight narrative.

Anyway, how it seemed to me...

"ADoS" *is* what KT says _TNW_ is--a story about someone stranded in the
ocean.

"UI" is a straight narrative, if Kate is allowed to sing two parts: the
skater, and "It's me!" (she's singing two parts in the next song, after
all, although you *can* attach significance to the fact that it's the
actually one person).

"WtW"--straight narrative of a witch trial.  More death in the water.

"WYWM"--a ghost story.

"JoL"--about a suicidal girl, sitting in front of her dresser-mirror.
Her present reflection becomes her future reflection... "Don't do it!"

"HE"--never could make a simple story out of that one.

"TMF"--sounds like a survivor's song, to me.

P.S.: It's "Columbia now at 9 times the speed of sound...".

"It is this that                      pDaleCampbell
 brings us together              .    pdc@acorn.net
KT - - - - -   u m o p   a p ! s d n   - - - - - KT