Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jewel Bush?

From: Lane Stephenson <lane5@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 08:56:07 -0500
Subject: Jewel Bush?
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

This week's Entertainment Weekly (8-15-97) includes a new review of
Jewel's year and a half old "Pieces of You" to coincide with it's
re-release as a double vinyl LP with 5 "bonus tracks".  The reviewer
(who basically says that it is OK but weak) writes:

"It's best considered as a guided tour through three decades of female
folk-pop styles.  "Near You Always" is Blue-era Joni Mitchell; "Foolish
Games," pure Kate Bush; 'I'm Sensitive,' [Suzanne] Vega with a
lobotomy."

I never bought the CD, so I can't comment.  Anyone out there care to
explain what "pure Kate Bush" is as it relates to Jewel's "Foolish
Games"?  If Jewel is really capable of combining all of the elements
that make Kate's music so special into a single three minute ballad,
then we may need to consider changing the focus of this news group.  ;-)

Lane
--
"Now is the place where the crossroads meet.
Will you look into the future?" - KT