Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A Weird View of The Ninth Wave

From: "Lee A. Blankenship" <lab4@dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 23:24:53 -0700
Subject: Re: A Weird View of The Ninth Wave
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Monica Sztybel wrote:

> Ralph Eisermann wrote:
>
> > > I thought it was about a probable (at the time) disaster with the space
> > > shuttle. (please don't laugh)
>
> > no it is not ! The Challenger Disaster took place in 1987, I think.
> > Its main cause was that NASA ignored warnings on the booster technology as
> > well they reduced the sensors !
>
> It was 1986, I believe.  I had just gotten into Kate at the time and I
> was a freshman (second semester) in college.  HOL had already been out
> for a while at that point, so there's no way it's directly referencing
> that explosion.  However, to the person who orignally brought up the
> shuttle idea, your theory about a shuttle crashing (a fictionalized one,
> for example) is not weird in my book:-)
>
> Monica
> --
> "To touch a soul is a precious gift."

What I was referring to was an article in OMNI that came out well before
the Challenger disaster. It was the First Word in an issue (I believe)
around 18 to 20 months before, with a title like "The Space Shuttle Will
Fail", analyzing the probabilities of a serious accident. That article
gave me a serious case of the chills, and especially later when I was
listening to HOL. Thus, I had assumed that Kate had read it also, and
included as a part of the Ninth Wave the possibility of an accident.
When the accident actually happened, the idea was cemented for me. It
seemd (emphasis) to fit, even though it was not about a fictional
shuttle crash at all. However, I still hear the same message, see in my
head the same images that I always have associated with the Ninth Wave.

To somewhat respond to Ralph: Yes, I am quite aware of the timing. I am
quite aware of the date. It is burned into my memory, I can never forget
it.  I am also well aware that I am taking the arrangement of the songs
and being quite free with the way I see a logical sequence.

I merely wanted to share my interpretation (alternate and incorrect)
with the group. If you listen to the songs in the manner I suggested, I
believe that you are in for a surprise.

Oh, btw, on the 'wordless singing' in 'Hello Earth', I always heard the
chorus sing the word "Free-dom". (I know, I'm reading a lot into it)

;-)

Lee

P.S to Monica:
	Thank you for your kind words about my view. See ya!