Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

New Musicianship

From: Leigh.Perkins@sset.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:58:01 -0700
Subject: New Musicianship
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

     Hi List

     Just been reading all your notes about how great music used to be, and
     apparently how crap and depressing it has all become.

     About 5 years ago I got involved with a London based band called
     Moondigger (I know you've never heard of them).  I guess some of the
     chops and licks leant some of their attitude towards artists like
     Franc Dunnery, Alan Holdsworth, Pre Collins Genesis and Yes, though we
     added other feels (less boredom and repetition for a start), but the
     key thing was - it was fun, we laughed when we played the instruments,
     because what was coming out was exhilarating us.

     I left London and came to live in the country, but had the opportunity
     to go back down and meet up with my old friends this weekend for
     Katemas.

     The songs we used to play are all gone, but replaced by new ones with
     just as much power and emotion as I remember, the musicianship still
     lives.

     Music's faces isn't getting old and wrinkled and boring, it's just
     changing, and becoming relative to the way you're listening to it.
     Comparison is easy, but trying to say that one person is better than
     another is subjective - who is the better bass player, Geddy Lee or
     Eberhard Weber, who's the better guitarist, Steve Hackett or Mr
     Clapton.  Neither is better, they can only be described as different.

     Yes some people are still "banging" away at their instruments, but
     some people are happy to listen to tuneless 3 chord wonders.

     At the same time Kate was producing the miracle that is HOL, Sigue
     Sigue Sputnik were releasing their efforts to the world.  There will
     always be good and bad.  It's up to you and you're tastes to decide
     which you think is which.

     Deeper Understanding makes me feel cold and alone, isolated and
     desperate, I don't comdemn Kate for making me feel this way, sometimes
     I need these emotions.  How would I guage my life is all I ever felt
     was hope and loving - to see light you need see dark as a comparison.

     Leigh

     P.S.  I've met Mr Clapton, he's a bit arrogant and could benefit from
     more practise time!!