Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Other Artists; OK! I Give Up!

From: Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 00:07:05 -0700
Subject: Re: Other Artists; OK! I Give Up!
To: "He Is John" <heisjohn@gate.net>
Cc: "Love Hounds" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

At 2:46 PM -0700 7-25-97, He Is John wrote:
>Dongerous! wrote:
>>He Is John wrote:
>>many
>>>list
>>'70s!!!
>>>
>>>Disturbing?  In the early 70s, I discovered Phil Keaggy, David Bowie
>>and
>>>Deep Purple.
>>
>>I hate to break it to you John, but David Bowie and Deep Purple
>>weren't new
>>artists in the '70s. There's both from the '60s.
>
>Ooohhhh...  I thought you said you found the fact that some L-H subscribers
>haven't DISCOVERED any new artists since the '70s disturbing.

It is!

>  In essence,
>an indictment of our willingness to open ourselves up to something a little
>more current, as opposed to commentary on which decade a particular
>recording artist may "belong" to.

Make that "unwillingness."

> Wait a minute...  that *IS* what you
>said  :-)

Yeah, but I'm always open to a change of subject.

>Calling Bowie and Purple '60s artists is like calling Kate a '70s artist.
>To paraphrase Karen, that would be akin to lumping her in with the
>polyester-wearin' Charlie Daniels set.

Kate Bush IS a '70s artist.

>> I'm not familiar with PK.
>
>What Paul McCartney would sound like if he could play guitar.

Paul McCartney CAN play guitar. Ever heard "Taxman"?

>> >A couple years later, I happened upon 10cc.
>>
>>I hope it was their second album.
>
>Yes, initially, now that you mention it.  *Perfect* pop for those inclined
>to listen to such things.

I saw 10cc live...though it was after the third album. They were pretty
incredible. I haven't, however, seen KB live.

>>> Towards the end
>>>of the decade, I fell in love with Kate.  Have I missed anything
>>since
>>>then??
>>
>>Apprently not.
>>
>>I'll bet you don't have the storage problem with CDs/LPs/45s that I
>>do.
>
>Thanks for letting me know I'm all up to date!  And no, storage isn't
>really a problem.  I traded almost everything else I owned for Kate and
>10cc stuff...

What about the guy who plays guitar like Paul McCartney?

- Don