Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Age-Poll

From: tre@quake.net (Tre Hellman)
Date: 18 Jul 1997 09:39:33 GMT
Subject: Re: Age-Poll
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Darkhop wrote:

 > As I said on another post, I just found this place, so I'm not sure yet
 > if I'll be hanging around. But in the interest of demographics....
 >
 > Male; 37

Male, 30

 > 1st album bought: The Dreaming
 > Why: Cool cover. I'd seen The Kick Inside when I worked in a record shop
 > in 1979 but didn't make the connection on first glimpse of tD. I was
 > interested in dreams at the time & that photo sure looked like one.
 > Those drums starting off Sat In Your Lap practically made me a fan right

1st bought: the Wuthering Heights single.
Why? Well, it was just simply bloody amazing. Probably the single most
important musical event in my life. So KaTe, the goddess, has been my most
important musical influence since I was a kid.

 > Kate albs I own: all except for Red Shoes (has she made anything since?)

What I got: Everything I've ever been able to get my hands on :)

 > Top three in order: tD, HoL, NFE

Top 3: The Dreaming, The Dreaming, The Dreaming (Sorry, but it's true. I
love all her work, but The Dreaming is transcendant.)

 > Top three tunes in order: Get Out of my House, Gaffa, Jig of Life (this
 > list would likely change daily)

Top 3 Tunes: Night of the Swallow (to be played at my funeral), Wow, The
Big Sky. Of course, positions 2 and 3 change constantly. Breathing and
Egypt are constant favourites. (In fact, Never For Ever is a much
overlooked piece of wondrousness.)

 > I came looking for this group because I'm reading The Night Is Large by
 > Martin Gardner, with an essay about the guy that Cloudbusting is
 > apparently based on. (And I'm sure someone here has made the connection
 > between Cloudbusting and Hawkwind's Orgone Accumulator, right? <g>) What
 > a crock! Has Kate ever talked about him? I'm curious about her take on
 > this rainmaking machine of his.

Don't know about KaTe's take on it. The song is based on his son's book of
remembrances - and based on the song and the video it's the relationship
and the history that interests her rather than the controversial work of
Reich. But upon what do you base your statement that it's "a crock"?
Gardner's evaluation? As far as I am aware no one has, to this day,
actually made any attempt to *scientifically* evaluate Reich's theories.
The few people who have built orgone machines and tried 'em out generally
agree with Reich (which might be expected), but no truly scientific
experiment has ever been attempted. All that exists is a "decision by
fiat" that it doesn't work. Maybe not.... but people like Gardner who
insist on science might be advised to try a little themselves before
condemning someone. Just a thought. And not one that really belongs here.
Sorry. But you know what those hobbyhorses are like :)

Tre.