Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Paula Cole comparison to Kate

From: llovich@aol.com (Llovich)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 19:08:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Paula Cole comparison to Kate
To: <rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <19970626231901.TAA18743@ladder02.news.aol.com>, pdb6@aol.com
(PDB6) writes:

>'ve been listening to Paula's "This Fire" album alot lately (I think it
>is totally fab), and I find her to sound like Kate somewhat frighteningly
>in many places on the album.  In specific, the end of "This Fire", the
>latter half of "Neitzche's Eyes", and the entierty of "Mississippi".
>"Mississippi" could be slipped right in the middle of a copy of "The
>Dreaming", and a novice listener would never know the difference.  It's
>kind of funny, actually.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. In fact, when I first
heard "Mississippi," I thought -- for teh first time EVER in my eighteen
years of KTB worship, "This sounds like something Kate ought to cover."

BTW, did anyone see Paula Cole do "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" on
David Letterman a few weeks back? It's was a VERY Kate performance ...
Paula sang into a mask of a "pretty girl" with blond braids during the
verses. The mask gave the vocals the "filtered" effect, plus was visually
striking.

Keep your Tori ... I say Paula's the real thing.

"Just saying it can even make it happen ...
    All I have to do is say it for you."
-- "Cloudbusting," K. Bush