Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Poll: what is yuor age.

From: "Ted Calhoun" <rcalhoun@kdps.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 10:45:35 -0600
Subject: Re: Poll: what is yuor age.
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net

This is heading off topic, but I felt the need to make a minor
correction to the correction....
Time is not slowed down (necessarily) during acceleration (assuming
you want to keep your spaceman from being pulled apart by tidal
effects...).  The Theory of Special Relativity cannot be applied to frames of reference in
acceleration with respect to one another.  Time dilation actually
refers to the constant difference in velocity between two frames of
reference.

Sorry for the lecture,
Robert  (a.k.a someone who studied physics but never gets to apply it)

> Being in space is not what causes time to slowdown.  It is under going
> acceleration with regard to a given frame of reference.
>
> Dan

> > --- bigz wrote:
> >         No, Ron was right after all, as long as he spent the years in space.
> > Remember the Theory of Relativity? A man who travels into space returns
> > a younger man than a man of the same age who stays on Earth. Thus, as
> > long as Ron remained in space from the moment he heard Wuthering Heights
> > in 1978 at the age of 18, until he returned this year at the age of 35,
> > it is feasible that he is ''younger.''
> >         My question is, how did he keep track of all the KB material after 1978
> > if he was in Space all that time?
> >
> > --- end of quoted material ---
> > HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......Just call me "Space Cadet Ron"..........ROTF!!!
> >
> > That was precious!   :-)
> >
> > Of course, I did all my shopping at Intergalactic Garage......except for my
> > Russian stuff which came on special order from the KGB and delivered to me
> > on the Mir space station by the Shuttle or supply rocket    ;-)
> >
> > peace
> >
> > ron

Robert Edward Calhoun
     rcalhoun@dovetech.com
     rec@falcon.cc.ukans.edu

Home:  1421 W. 19th st. / Lawrence, KS 66046-2611 / USA
            phone: (913) 843-8846

Work:  Dove Technologies, Inc.
           205 W. 8th st. / Lawrence, KS 66044 / USA
           phone: (913) 842-4125, Ext. 14
           fax:  (913) 842-0966
           http://www.dovetech.com