Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wassail

From: faerymouse@aol.com (Faerymouse)
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 12:05:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Wassail
To: <rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>     Ironic don't you think that the christian faith should adopt such a
>     paganistic ritual - maybe it was done to gain popularity with (us)
the
>     heathens!!

well,  christians made the date of christmas as it is because of the
winter solsitice. the pagans had these great celebrations that the
christians couldn't partake in because, well, they were christian, and
couldn't celebrate the solsitice. so they decided to celebrate christmas
then, also for the purpose of converting the pagans. most of our holidays
are pagan anyways. look at halloween. so i really wouldn't be surprised if
they took on that custom too. =)

~*~siobhan the mouse~*~
****http://members.aol.com/Faerymouse/myworld.html****
*****you paused in the doorway.as though a thought stole you