Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jonatha Brooke and The Story

From: David Jacobsen <hifidelity@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 18:44:15 +0000
Subject: Jonatha Brooke and The Story
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

> Hi Lovehounds...
>
> Two quick notes:
>
> 1 - Post from a different mailing list commented that one of the
> speakers at the Hong Kong ceremonies looked "... amazingly like Kate
> Bush!" somewhere around the time Brian Blessed spoke.
>
> 2 - Is Jhonna still posting on this list? (are you here?) E-mail
> returned undeliverable, so if you got it, I'd appreciate it (the
> E-mail address)
>
> 3 - You didn't expect me to count correctly did you?  I write for a
> living!
>
> 4 - Has anyone heard/heard of a group titled 'the Corrs'?  I picked
> it up on a whim, like it a whole bunch, and while it doesn't sound
> like Kate (blasphemy!) does anyone here have an opinion on the group?
>
> 5 - (Last one I promise!) On the same thought process as the last
> note, how about 'The Story' or 'Johnatha Brook and The Story'?  Great
> stuff, IMNSHO, but I'd like some validation/humiliation there as
> well...
>
> enough for now...
>
> chris
> the disjointed-and-stopped-making-sense one

Jonatha Brooke and the Story's "Plumb" was one of my favorite albums of
95/96.  As a fan of Canadian music, the immediate comparisons to Sarah
MacLachlan were inevitable, but soon went away.  One of the compelling
things about the album is that it is, as far as I know, the first "pop" album
released by GRP (American jazz label).  The arrangements and song structure
are superb!