Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Holy Grail"?

From: "Mark A. Semich" <mas@world.std.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 02:55:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: "Holy Grail"?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I went through the FAQ and couldn't find anything on this.  Apologies if
it's an old question:

My HOL album attributes that "ninth wave" Tennyson quote to "The Coming
of Arthur", yet the new HOL albums attribute it to Tennyson's "The Holy
Grail" (Apparently this change was made a while back, but I didn't
notice it until the recent EMI re-issue.)

I've got two editions of Tennyson's "Idylls of the King" right here in
front of me.  One is published by the F.M. Lupton Publishing Company,
New York (1900) the other by The Heritage Press, New York, 1939:

"Wave after wave, each mightier than the last,
 Till last, a ninth one, gathering half the deep
 And full of voices, slowly rose and plunged
 Roaring, and all the wave was in a flame:
 And down the wave and in the flame was borne
 A naked babe, and rode to Merlin's feet,
 Who stoopt and caught the babe, and cried, 'The King!'"

is ABOSOLUTELY in the first chapter, "The Coming of Arthur".
It's no where *near* "The Holy Grail", which comes much later in the
book.

So why the change in credits?  Is the American version of the book
different from the British version?