Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What this group listens to

From: "Ronald W. Garrison" <rwgarr@intrex.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 09:43:14 -0400
Subject: Re: What this group listens to
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

gearnoise@VNET.IBM.COM wrote:

> Here's what I've compiled from the posts in the last several weeks
> since
> my original question.

> Neal Mulvenna   IBM Global Services, CLT, NC           __/__/T_ -- -
> internet: gearnoise@vnet.ibm.com

==========Not sure what the whole background of this post was (do you
have anything to do with Ectophiles?)

Let me just add a few special nominations that come to mind, as long as
you have such a diverse group already:

--Stan Ridgway (including groups: Drywall, and (early 80s) Wall of
Voodoo) Obviously Ridgway has a style completely unlike Kate's in
detail, but there are some parallels that are almost eerie. For one
thing, Stan is as distinctly American as Kate is unmistakably British.
For another, they both write songs that are very personal--they may have
to do with matters of society as a whole, but the situations are as seen
through the eyes of a particular person in a particular situation. They
both tend to get better on repeat listening.

--Djur Djura (Algerian female artist) The only thing I know recorded by
her is on "The Best of Afropea 2" (I have the exact title stashed away,
if anyone is curious--it's produced by David Byrne, by the way).

--3 Mustaphas 3 --Can't explain what they're like very well; you just
have to listen

--Downy Mildew --Apparently defunct, not well known outside LA area,
found them purely by chance. Again, I find their music gets better with
more and more listens.

=========
I hope this turns someone one to some new things.

(My Web site also has references to these, and more.)
http://www.intrex.net/rwgarr/

--Ron