Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jobriath (not much Kate Kontent)

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 18:18:51 -0700
Subject: Jobriath (not much Kate Kontent)
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

wayne fisher wrote:

> Double WOW!!! I'm a huge fan of Jobriath. I remember at the time he was
> considered a Bowie wannabe. To me his style was quite different than
> Bowie's. His 2 LPs were wonderful and I still listen to them, but I think he
> was closer in style to the Stones and Gershwin. Well crafted rock/pop songs
> with a Broadway flair. He wrote some wonderful love songs (Heartbeat,
> Inside, Be Still). I did get a chance to see him (in Hollywood yet) at the
> Troubador. I didn't think anybody had heard of him...thought I was the only
> one. ;-) BTW, sadly he died about a year ago.
>
> So Robb how is her CD? Is it available? Does she do any Jobriath or Bowie on
> it? Is Wow on it?
>
> Fan-tastic!
> Wayne

Cool!

The friend I went with was debating with me whether or not
Jobriath actually existed, or was simply a manifestation of Ann
herself. Though Ann is certainly capable of such a thing, I
didn't think the music sounded at all like her own stuff. She
did say that he was obscure, that she had obsessed over him as a
teen and that a friend of hers had seen him perform at a club in
Manhattan under the band name Cold Berlin. He was performing
cover versions (she mentioned Gershwin, though it's hard to tell
if she was being serious) and when someone requested he do one
of his own songs, he blanched and said that he never performed
his original material anymore. Ann said that he died of AIDS.

No, unfortunately, there are no recorded versions of Ann singing
other people's material that I know of. And -- though I love her
weird sense of humor and her single solo album "The Luv Show" --
I cannot in good faith recommend it to Kate fans. It is filled
with alternative-sounding riffs and showtunes, rambling
narratives and quick ironies -- not at all the studied and
perfected work that is celebrated here.

Robb