Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: literature/delaney/the sandman

From: Mike Wade <mwade@oxfam.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 18:22:00 +0100
Subject: Re: literature/delaney/the sandman
To: "love-hounds@gryphon.com" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Will wrote:
>In about issue three/four of Sandman the line "See the sun set in the hand of
the man" can be seen...

Interesting - though wasn't the line in Kate's schoolgirl poem "see the
sun set in the hand of the dead man" or something? Years since I've read
it. I've always liked the way that this poem (which she wrote at about
age 11?) resurfaced in some of the images/lines in The Dreaming.

To join in a (not particularly Kate) thread...summer books:-

Absolutely anything by Pat Barker.  In most of her books she gets
completely inside the skull of poor women in interwar slums in northern
England. Try Union St for size. Then there's the award winning
Regeneration Trilogy where she flips over and gets amazingly inside the
skulls of 1st World War men. Read the Trilogy in order though.

Louis de Bernier. (Another British writer) Captain Corelli's Mandolin is
just beautifully written - the first 100/120 pages are a bit hard to get
into, but once I got through those I found myself blubbing my eyes out
on a long train journey last month. Embarassing, but still an ace book.

James North Patterson - Eyes of a Child, Final Verdict etc. Never
particularly been into US crime writing but this stuff is goo-od,
especially the trial scenes.

Nigel Nicholson's "Portrait of a Marriage" on Vita Sackville West. One
of my all time faves.

And finally...well, if you've never read Wuthering Heights...now's the
time. "Nelly, I AM Heathcliff. My love for Edgar resembles the foliage
in the woods, and dies in the Fall. My love for Heathcliff is eternal,
like the rocks beneath" (ok. misquoted I know, but the gist is there)
Passionate stuff.

Mike