Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Stats

From: Karen Newcombe <kln@staralliance.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 14:23:31 -0700
Subject: Stats
To: "love-hounds@gryphon.com" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

I love hearing everyone's story, so here's mine for all you newbies.  All
of you who've heard this before can now take a nap.

I used to dislike Kate's work quite a bit.  My friend Michael was always
trying to get me to listen to The Dreaming and I just couldn't pay
attention.  Then, horrors, this Hounds of Love thing appeared and
everywhere I went that new-age valley girl was exhorting me "Let's exchange
the experience"  Ack!  Phew-ee!  Give me a break!  What part of Los Angeles
did they find HER in?

Then I was coming out of the back room at work (Just Desserts) carrying a
huge tray of 8 double layer chocolate fudge cakes and as I came through the
swinging doors a Goddess began singing "Hello Earth,  hello earth, with
just one hand held up high . . ." and I had to put the tray down because I
got weak in the knees.  One does not want to drop 40 lbs. of chocolate cake
on the floor.

I crawled humbly back to Michael and asked him to make me a tape -- which
he did, with TNW, Under the Ivy, Babooshka, TMWtCiHE, Sat in Your Lap and
many other songs.  I wore the tape out in a matter of weeks.  I began
digging through record bins looking for that elusive and haunting Under the
Ivy that I just HAD to have.

One thing led to another, suddenly I had a collection, then I found Kate
Bush Complete at the library and wrote to Homeground and then Ed Suranyi
called one day and invited me to Katemas in San Jose at Larry Hernandez's
house.  "What a bunch of weirdos!" I thought, but I went.

And NOW, heh heh heh, you can come to MY house for Katemas.

Karen  kln@staralliance.com   "We let the weirdness in."