Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ann Magnuson performs WOW

From: spike45@sos.sos.net (wayne fisher)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 06:14:09 -0700
Subject: Re: Ann Magnuson performs WOW
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Robb wrote:

>	Her stage shows are marked by dry commentary and poetry,
>her own offbeat tunes, medleys of Bowie songs and, as of last
>Wednesday night, Kate's "Wow." As a matter of fact -- she opened
>and closed the show with it!
>
>	I could kick myself for not taping it. Her version was
>stunning. She began with a breathy vocal -- like Kate's -- but
>lit into the chorus like a wailing cat, with blazing Bowie-esque
>guitars and slamming drums behind her. And when the song wound
>down (at the point where Kate sings toni-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi-yight),
>Ann did the same, ad nauseum, until she was perfectly mimicking
>the sound of an annoying bug. Then with a quick snatch into
>midair, she put an end to "the bug" and the song, all to our
>great amusement.
>
>	The reprise came at an appropriate time. She'd just done
>a medley of songs by a talented -- but failed -- artist named
>Jobriath. Supposedly he was a Bowie wannabe who professed to
>be "truly bisexual" and whose two albums couldn't live up to the
>hype produced by his rich lover. Tying in with the failed
>actors/artists theme (and movie "queens"), Ann told the audience
>we were all "fantastic" "unbelievable" and "amazing" (which, I
>think, goes to show she knows more about Kate than just a few of
>her songs) and then ripped into the reprise.

Double WOW!!! I'm a huge fan of Jobriath. I remember at the time he was
considered a Bowie wannabe. To me his style was quite different than
Bowie's. His 2 LPs were wonderful and I still listen to them, but I think he
was closer in style to the Stones and Gershwin. Well crafted rock/pop songs
with a Broadway flair. He wrote some wonderful love songs (Heartbeat,
Inside, Be Still). I did get a chance to see him (in Hollywood yet) at the
Troubador. I didn't think anybody had heard of him...thought I was the only
one. ;-) BTW, sadly he died about a year ago.

So Robb how is her CD? Is it available? Does she do any Jobriath or Bowie on
it? Is Wow on it?

Fan-tastic!
Wayne