Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The HOL re-release

From: kln@sirius.com (Karen)
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 16:30:48 -0700
Subject: Re: The HOL re-release
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Dongerous wrote:
>>I disagree. There's no reason for EMI or Columbia to put out any "special"
>>KB reissues. It's not like she does anything to further her career in the
>>US. Tours? No. TV shows? No. Personal appearances? No. At least in the UK
>>she does the occasional charity appearence or some such morsel. Why would
>>Columbia spend any time trying to break a mature artist like KB when they
>>could put their effort into a new artist that is willing to put in the
>>considerable amount of time needed for promotional work to make a career
>>that is as successful as it can be?

In that case why would they do it at all?  Do you think they have any
reason?  Or was it a random occurance?

If the studios had THAT much of a problem with Kate's lack of interest in
doing dog and pony shows, they wouldn't work with her.  They'd drop her
contracts.  Since they are both still contracting with her, they must not
be that unhappy.

A separate issue is quality. If you are going to produce a product, do a
high quality job or don't do it.  EMI is notorious for doing a shabby job
with their entire line of artists, including classical.

>>I would suspect that KB records are only released in America because the US
>>record companies get them on the cheap. It seems unlikely that the expenses
>>associated with recording and producing her albums are recouped based on
>>her American sales. She just needs to sell enough records in the US to make
>>it worth printing them up. It's UK sales that keep her going.

The Red Shoes went gold in the U.S. a few months after release, which isn't
shabby sales.  I'd be interested to know if you have any figures about the
actual promotional and production costs? It would be fascinating to see
them.

Since Kate hires all the musicians, does all the recording and master
taping herself these are not expenses for EMI.  The Wall St. Journal
reported a few months back (mid-February?) that typical costs for producing
a pop CD were about $3.00 including promotion and printing.  Since we pay
around $13 - $15 for them, someone is making quite a profit.

>>>  I don't think Columbia is any better,
>>>frankly.  They had big plans for promotion of TRS and backed away from most
>>>of them.
>>
>>Can you blame them? KB isn't willing to do her part. Why should anyone
>>expect a record company to put its all behind an artist that isn't willing
>>to do her part?

Again, I think if you are in a contract with someone you stick to the terms
are and do the best to fulfill them or you get out of it.  None of us knows
what she and the studios are happy or unhappy about with each other. We can
assume they must be irritated she won't tour because we're irritated about
it, but we just don't know.

For all we know, the studios love her because she's not a prima donna
hanging around demanding a bunch of attention all the time.  Imagine what a
pain in the ass working with Madonna is . . . brrrrrr!

Best, Karen