Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Woman Of Ireland

From: pdc@acorn.net (pDaleCampbell)
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 09:36:11 -0400
Subject: Re: Woman Of Ireland
To: Ariusz Nowak <ariusz@tk.net.pl>, love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello!

On Sun, 08 Jun 1997 22:51:28 +0100, Ariusz Nowak <ariusz@tk.net.pl> wrote:

> I just listen to the kind of "The Best" album by Mike Oldfield and payed
> attention for the track called "Woman Of Ireland". It's the same melody as
> the song "Mna Na Eirehann" (sorry if I mispelled) singing by Kate.
> I think it would be no surprise 'cause Mike Oldfield is interested in
> Irish music. What surprised me is that according to inlay tha track is written
> by Mike Odfield and I always thought it is traditional tune.
> Maybe it's the mistake.
> Anybody knows something about that? The track is from the Mike's album
> Voyager (1996). Maybe somebody own that record - what is written on the
> cover of it.
Don't have any relevant CD's with me here at my office, but I CAN tell
you...

"Women of Ireland" is the English translation of the title
"Mna Na H-Eireann", and it is NOT a traditional tune.  It also
appears on the Chieftains album _Film_Cuts_ (from the soundtrack
of the movie _Barry_Lyndon_, one of Kate's favs), and the liner notes
mention its source.

___ "I think you're all completely mad"-Kate (to her fans)
 |  "Love between the ugly
 |/     is the most beautiful love of all"-Todd       pDaleCampbell
 |\                                                   pdc@acorn.net
KT - - - - - - - - -   u m o p   a p ! s d n   - - - - - - - - - KT