Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: VH1 special and New Album

From: stj@ecmwf.int (Brett Harris)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 10:14:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: VH1 special and New Album
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi all,

I asked a friend of mine to translate the Italian web page for me, including
the Gilmour interview, so here it is:

     News on the new album!

     "And yes, the magical moment draws ever closer.  Some weeks ago one of
     our friends had the chance to visit the London EMI headquarters and,
     asking a nice staff member about Kate's new album, had this explicit
     reply: " you won't have to suffer for much longer.  At this very
     moment, KB is at Abbey Road recording it".
     Just another confirmation, therefore, to the news obtained by us
     previously and on this very page published by us during march.  But
     that's not all!
     Thanks to our friend, Lupo Alberto, we have had the good fortune to
     get our hands on an interview which has not been officially released
     by David Gilmour with Stefano Magnani and Armony Giuliette on 21
     march, in the music store, "Covent Garden Records", near Charing Cross
     Road in London.
     As it appears, the great David was in the mood to talk and so read on
     to see what fantastic tidbits he is giving to all Bush's fans:"

     D: Dave, is it true you are helping out Kate Bush?
     R: It's not really like that, I went back to retrain myself after a
     mistake
     the likes of which I frankly wasn't used to making, more than anything
     on a psychological level...
     D: You're referring to the recording by Wright which you made with
     Sinead O'Connor doing the vocals?
     R: I warned him that it was more than two years since I touched a
     guitar. I should have kept at it for a while longer but I caught a
     plane and went home.
     D: How did you find KB?
     R: She's more and more the boss of the console, she controls
     everything as always but maintains/preserves her artistic spirit.
     She's very precise.
     D: They say she's in fine form...
     R: Noticeably.  It's a different atmosphere, very different to that of
     '92. There's a big difference from the previous album.  Very new
     sounds and a song split into 3 parts, or at least at this stage it is.
      It may develop into three stages or 3 specific phases.  There is a
     beautiful new choir/backing vocalists, a new bass player and Giblin
     (John) is always very inspired, but I find that there is an
     extraordinary Elliot (Stuart), no-one like him enters immediately into
     the experimental parts.
     D: Tell me about Manu` Katche`...
     R: I met him in Belgium when Wright and Fairworth tried out a new
     session part for "Broken China" (Wright's solo album), and I was
     stunned.  kate has remained very perplexed because of the fact that
     she had thought of a very different architecture/structure for a piece
     that...I think they call it "Round in my Mirror", where he voice
     intersects/blends with celtic instruments and the rhythmic part by
     Elliot.  the variation by Katche` was huge with four speed changes
     mixed by himself with the Wist-Pless (the same used by the Police).
     "I knew", Kate confessed to me, "about the variations at full speed of
     which he is capable, we were observing him for 4 years already with
     Peter (Gabriel), but I had never yet found the right rhythm to use
     him. he's used to the max, he's great".
     D: Have you made any demos?
     R: Yes, two: one very long one for "Open your Sight" and another using
     a harp.  I really think I am still far from being in good form
     mentally.  Palmer (Del) says the my fingers are OK; in fact, when I
     tried the demo of "Comfortably Numb" with Martin (George) it came out
     perfectly, but i have had long experience in playing demos.  Kate has
     been very sweet but very determined: "I need a demo which is
     embellished with the piece, then you reduce it down".
     Imagine a piece of cloth, the end is free but one must continue ??? to
     open the Fairlight. I don't have much interest in this, Dave, and even
     less time, even I have very few ideas but we must hurry up; we could
     call Danny (McIntosh), but I would like it to come from you....".
     D: Is it true that the Recording company wanted to impose a producer
     on kate?
     R: For EMI Bush is a world wide success, and besides, have you ever
     tried to impose anything on Kate? Just try it!
     D: Dave, when will Kate Bush's album be released?
     R: July, July, it will be finished in July.

     Which means that most probably, aside from delays and last minute
     changes (with Kate nothing is impossible), the new much lauded, much
     awaited album of the Lady should be in the shops in autumn.  Not bad
     news, is it?  Keep watching this space for further updates.

So thats it..  a new album in July!!!

I guess that means we may be lucky and get it before the end of the year,
I just hope I am still in the UK when it happens.

Cheers,
Brett.