Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

How many days does it take to make a Kate album?

From: Karen Newcombe <kln@staralliance.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 10:09:24 -0700
Subject: How many days does it take to make a Kate album?
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

>YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>C'mon guys and gals....are you telling me that you think Kate has an
>album almost finished after just a year working on it...............
>Never...and you can fry me quietly in fish batter if she has....
>Hah!
>A year....don't try and get my hopes up please.....
>
>A very annoyed-Neil

Well Neil, I hope you like hot oil treatments.  Hasn't Kate said in several
interviews that once she hits the studio it takes her a year  to put an
album together?  We know she has already had musicians in the studio, so I
would think much of the material was at fairly advanced stage by then.

If you go back to the International Musician magazine interview from The
Sensual World time period, Kate goes into great detail about her process
and equipment, from doodling around on the piano to get initial ideas, to
bringing in musicians, to doing the main vocals.  I thought Kate said she
gets fairly far along in her process before she brings people into the
studio, partly because it is difficult to schedule sessions with busy
musicians, and partly to give them something tangible to work with.  Her
main vocals go in last, if we can believe that interview.

What the heck she does the rest of the time . . . who knows.

Anyone out there remember other interviews where she talks about her
process and schedule?

Karen  kln@staralliance.com