Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

shona laing

From: Drewbles <drewbles@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 22:01:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: shona laing
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

meredith wrote:

> Rolf inquired:

> >Another question: does someone know what happened to Shona Laing?
> >I've got that one album, "South", from around 1986, and never heard
> >of her again.
>
> She put out a couple albums since then, and IMHO they're both crap.  She's
> still out there, though.

I have to say that I was CRAZY about Shona Laing after South came out and didn't care
much for New On Earth when I first got it . . . very jarring comparison.  South is largely
electronic with lots of synths and programmed rhythms . . . New On Earth is completely
studio band and very well crafted.  Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the album
definitely grew on me and is the best Shona Laing album out there.  It was barely released
here and sometimes hard to find, but if you look hard you will find it.  Ignore the terrible
cover photos and design.  The music and lyrics are great.

BTW, this album's spirit reminds me a lot of the Sensual World.   Once you get used to her
voice and pay attention to the lyrics the album has great rewards!

Peace.