Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Never For Ever album cover design?

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 01:14:27 -0400
Subject: Re: Never For Ever album cover design?
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Ronald Girardin wrote:

>> I was wondering, what's the inspiration behind the NfE album cover?
>> We see all these animals and gnomes coming out from under Kate's dress.
>> What's the meaning of this?   And why all the bats?  Even Kate is costumed
>> as a bat on the back cover.   Her dress on the front cover has a cloud
>> pattern....

And Tom Tuerff replied:

>I don't know, but I've always jokingly referred to this album as "Music
>from the Bush..."

Yes.

It has always baffled me that there should be any question or conflicting
interpretations about this.  (But then, we're talking about Love-Hounds, so
what else should I expect?)  There's never been any doubt in my mind as to
precisely where all those hobgoblins and beasties are coming from.  It is
simultaneously a lovely image of "giving birth" to strangeness and magical
creatures...and also a charmingly bawdy joke and quite probably a play on
Kate's surname as well.  How can people miss this?

RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/