Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate and Tori

From: vagabond@lungfish.remove.me.com
Date: 17 Mar 1997 18:18:03 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate and Tori
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <332A8C1E.79AB@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>, nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu writes:
> Delirium wrote:
> >
> > I realy don't see the likeness either... and it makes me really angry when
> > people call Tori a Kate wanna be...  I honestly don't really like Kate...
> > but thats another story...
> >

> I disagree with whomever wrote that they're *nothing* alike. I
> mean, come on, on a scale of rock artists ranging from The
> Rolling Stones to Kate Bush, you wouldn't put Tori's writing,
> singing and image smack dab in the center would you?
>
> There are also instances, like in the "beautiful angel/peaches
> and cream" line in Prof. Widow, where the similarity is simply
> uncanny. I find it pretty hard to believe when someone says they
> just don't hear it, and always wonder why they're being so
> defensive. After all, if a Kate fan says that Tori sounds like
> Kate, it's a pretty nice compliment in my book.
>
> I think Tori would think so too. Listen closely to your tape of
> Tori live at the Greek, 6/29/96. In the middle of "Love Song,"
> you'll hear Tori sing a line of "Running Up That (Rock)."
>
> Robb

I've heard people say that Tori is Kate-esque since /Little
Earthquakes/ and I never heard a line of hers that made me
go "Ooh! Katelike!" until /Boys for Pele/, and even then
it was only on a couple lines. ("Big Stripey Lie" made me
think of Tori, though...a vice versa thing.)

Anyhow, I don't think you could say "Tori is nothing like Kate,"
but I would say that, discounting gender, Tori is no more like
Kate than she is like, say, Elton John.

* Samsara   *
* Vagabond  *